The former Church of Saints Michael & John was built in 1813. Five years later a new bell was hung in the belfry. Nothing unusual about that, you might say, but when it was first rung it caused an outcry and a local Protestant, Alderman Carlton, brought a case to court against the church. The two-hundred year old anti-Catholic Penal Laws were still largely in force which included a prohibition to ring bells from Roman Catholic churches. Daniel O'Connell, after whom O'Connell Street is named and who eventually in 1829 succeeded through parliamentary means in repealing these unjust laws, acted for the defence and so powerful was his argument that the Attorney-General ordered the case to be dropped. The bell later became the official symbol of Catholic Emancipation
St Michael and All Angels Church, Macclesfield overlooks Market Place in the town of Macclesfield, Cheshire, England. (grid reference SJ 917 737). The church has been designated by English Heritage as a Grade II* listed building. It is an active Anglican parish church in the diocese of Chester, the archdeaconry of Macclesfield and the deanery of Macclesfield. It forms a team parish with three other Macclesfield churches: All Saints, St Peter's and St Barnabas'.
A church has been on the site since the 13th century. There have been two major reconstructions, the last being in 1898-1901. Two ancient chapels remain dating from the 15th and 16th centuries. Inside the church are a number of tombs and memorials, mainly to the memory of the Savage and Legh families.