The National Botanic Gardens, Glasnevin, were founded by the Royal Dublin Society in 1795 and they have grown to hold 20,000 living plants and many millions of dried plant specimens.
There are several architecturally notable greenhouses. Today the Glasnevin site is the headquarters of the National Botanic Gardens of Ireland which has a satellite garden at Kilmcurragh in county Wicklow.
The botanic garden participates in national and international initiatives for biodiversity conservation and sustainable development. The Director, Dr. Matthew Jebb, is also Chairman of PlantNetwork: The Plant Collections Network of Britain and Ireland.
Glasshouses include: the beautifully restored curvilinear range, Great Palm House, Alpine House, Cactus House and Fern House.
Notable specimens include a fine weeping Atlantic cedar, a lofty Zelkova from the Caucasus, native and hybrid strawberry trees and the "Last Rose of Summer" of the famous ballad