Marsh's Library, built in 1701 by Archbishop Narcissus Marsh (1638 - 1713) is the oldest public library in Ireland. It was designed by Sir William Robinson.
The Library contains some 25,000 printed books relating to the 16th, 17th and the early part of the 18th centuries. Subjects include theology, medicine, law, science, travel, navigation, music, surveying, ancient history and classical literature. In addition there are about 300 manuscripts in the collection.
The interior of the Library remains unchanged since it was built 300 years ago and it is a magnificent example of a 17th century scholar's library.
Also contained in Marsh's Library is the DELMAS COSERVATION BINDERY, which restores and repairs rare books and manuscripts and also prints, drawings, watercolours and maps, to the highest international standards